Thursday, April 8, 2010


What am I doing? 
What is the most valuable thing I could be doing right now?

There are so many things calling for my attention. I often find myself starting down the path of productive and strategic action, and then go off on a rabbit trail that’s interesting but not the best use of my time. At the end of the hour or the day, I pay the price for that side trip in the form of frustration, stress, incompletion and negative self-talk. The bottom line is that getting distracted is not worth it, and I am the only one who can change the behavior in me.

It is not hard to get started most of the time. Goals, schedules, appointments, and the pressure of commitments to others is enough to get me going. So how do I stay on track?

First thing I do is: STOP Start To Observe Purposefully. Then I notice what I am doing and ask myself a Choice-Question: What am I doing? What is the most valuable thing I could be doing right now?

From that question I reclaim control of my wandering thoughts, feelings, and actions. Even if I choose to go a little further down the rabbit trail, it is my decision how long to do that before returning to my strategic path. 

Pre-decided action, decisive action, chosen action – all lead to better results and a sense of satisfaction. You don’t have to eliminate the distractions … just use them better to get where you want to go.

Take Charge – Get Moving!

Love and light,
Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment