Monday, January 11, 2010


God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
--Reinhold Niebuhr

As I coach wonderfully talented people in career transition, I find many are not able to maintain a sense of peace and courage as time away from work drags on. They are tormented by a sense of helplessness in their inability to control the situation and get back to full employment. I hear it ... "I should be able to make things happen." "It's not fair/right that I was laid off." "What are people thinking of me, still unemployed? They think I'm a loser." As long as they are holding these illusions, they are blind to opportunities and creativity.

I have learned a lot about myself through them. We live as if our perceptions are truth when many are illusions. Illusions all around us - the illusion of security, of self-importance, of one's ability to control the world. As I take charge and get moving, I am accepting that I can't control circumstances or other people. I can only do what I can do. I can accept my limitations and claim my strengths. My mantra is "What is ... is. What ain't ... ain't. What are my choices right now?"

Let go of illusions, clarify the vision, plan and implement strategy with persistence and patience. Take charge of what I can do and build up momentum.
It isn't easy, but it is simple when the illusions are dispelled.
Love and light,
Diane






No comments:

Post a Comment